Search This Blog

Disclaimer

Before beginning any exercise regimen, always consult a physician. All suggestions on this blog are just that-- only suggestions. Each individual is responsible for deciding what is best for them.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Daily Journal - Spiritual

By Randy McNeely

I didn't do as well as I would have liked with my spiritual exercise yesterday. I had plenty of opportunity but allowed myself to get side-tracked by too many distractions. I didn't get into my scriptures really until it was time to go to bed. Pretty bad--especially for a Sunday.

Thanks goodness for repentance. Today is a new day and I did have the chance to feast a bit this morning. And the Lord knew exactly what I needed to read. I started out reading in Doctrine and Covenants section 10. This is the section where the Lord really took Joseph Smith to task for allowing Martin Harris to take the 116 pages of manuscript, which he subsequently lost. Verse 4 reads as follows:
Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means provided to enable you to translate; but be diligent unto the end.
I've read that verse dozens of times, but this time the word diligent really jumped off the page at me. So I looked at the footnote which referred me to the word diligence in the Topical Guide. In reviewing the verses listed there, I was impressed by how many of them refer to diligently keeping the commandments of God and being diligent (or enduring) to the end so that thereby we might win the prize. Just as we must exercise and eat properly to gain  and maintain the prize of physical health, so too we must exercise and feast properly to gain and maintain the prize of spiritual health.

I don't know about you, but being consistent is a real challenge for me. I seem to go in spurts (writing, exercising, spiritually feasting, etc.). I have a tough time setting goals and meeting them. My desire is to learn to do better at that. I know many of you are good at being diligent and setting goals, etc. I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Come on by and drop a note or two.

2 comments:

  1. With my writing, I ALWAYS go in spurts. I guess I'm a sprint writer, not an endurance writer. At least when I write, I write fast and a lot, but then I go for long periods without writing.

    Spurious is better than none, so keep it up! ;)

    Darvell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darvell,

    Thanks for stopping by. Sorry for the delayed post. The last three days have been nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please always remember to be courteous.